Monday, March 31, 2014

April Fools Day

Are you an April Fool?  It's traditionally a day when silliness abounds.

There are a number of recipes that attempt to fool us.  I remember my mother making Vinegar Pie, which was supposed to taste like Lemon Meringue Pie.  Vinegar was substituted for Lemon Juice.  Another pie she talked about making, but I don't recall that she ever actually did, was Mock Apple Pie.  That recipe substitutes Saltine Crackers for Apple Slices.  A syrup with cinnamon and nutmeg is poured over them to give moisture to the pie.

There were a couple years we tried to convince mother to add blue food coloring to the mashed potatoes on April Fool's Day. I don't think we succeeded.  And though it may sound foolish, I always thought it would be fun to serve dessert first at dinner instead of last!

This year the idea that sounds the best to me is to bake a favorite Meatloaf recipe in cupcake tins and then 'frost' them with Whipped Potatoes.  Whatever you decide to do for April Fool's Day, I hope it brings a smile to everyone's face.

No comments:

Post a Comment